Best Reasons to visit Meteora Monasteries, Thessaly Greece
- Six amazing monasteries built on giant rocks which are composed of conglomerate and sandstone. These rock pillars are aged over 60 million years and rise to 400 meters in height.
- The Greek word ‘Meteora’ means ‘suspended in air.’
- Originally 24 monasteries were built here by the monks, between 14th and 16th century. But only 6 of them have survived through the time.
- Until the 18th century, Meteora monasteries served as a center of art and scholarship.
- Holy Monastery of Great Meteoron, Holy Monastery of Varlaam, Holy Monastery of Rousanou, Holy Monastery of St. Nicholas Anapausas, Holy Monastery of St. Stephen and Holy Monastery of Trinity are the existing Meteora Monasteries.
- Today, Meteora is a popular rock-climbing site and a world heritage site. Beautiful hills and river valleys also surround it.