Best Reasons to visit Machu Picchu, Peru
- Machu Picchu is the ruins of the royal estate built by the Incas located high in the Andes mountains of Peru. It contains temples, palaces, residences, storage rooms, and stone structures. This site covers a vast land of 5.09 square miles.
- Machu Picchu was built in 15th century by Inca emperor Pachacuti. But after the Spanish invasion, the site was abandoned in the 16th Century.
- American historian Hiram Bingham discovered Machu Picchu in 1911.
- Machu Picchu situated at an altitude of 1972 feet above sea level. Majestic mountain peaks also surround the site.
- The structures found in Machu Picchu carved out of granite rocks. Some of the stones used for the construction of Machu Picchu weighs more than 50 tons.
- To your surprise, no mortar was used for the constructions of buildings in Machu Picchu. They cut the solid stone blocks so precisely to fit together tightly. In addition to this, the well-crafted stone structures and a sophisticated irrigation system also shows the outstanding engineering skills of Incas.
- You can reach the Machu Picchu by hiking the amazing Inca trail. It takes 3-5 days for the completion.